It’s been said that a picture is worth a thousand words, so why not apply this saying to your product photography.
Photography is crucial when it comes to selling products online. If you have an okay picture, people are less receptive to it, but if you have a shot of your product that is outstanding, customers notice and are more likely to notice it and potentially purchase it. Using photography well is what is ultimately going to sell your product the best.
Here are some tips to make photography for your products work:
1. There are lots of different ways to photograph a product. It all depends on what it is and how you want to portray it.
There is the studio shot. This shot usually has an all-white background, (or at least all one color), and is taken in a studio setting with the proper lighting and shadowing. This shot would show the details of the product up close.
- Then there is also the scaling shot. This type of shot works well for jewelry or small items. Showing how a necklace appears around a neck will help customers see more precisely what they are purchasing. This can also be accomplished using mannequins and stands, something to give the product a scale point of reference.
- Lifestyle shots are another, less common shot, but still very useful in the right environment. These shots show your products out in the real world. Maybe it’s a dress being worn in a ballroom. Perhaps it is a swimsuit at the beach, something that gives it that real-world environment.
2. Whatever photography style you choose, using the proper lighting is essential. When shooting your products, having the right tint of light will help change the effects of what people think of your product. Creating a white or natural diffused light is the best way to display your product the right way. Having standard bulbs will change the look of your photos to looking yellow or outdated. It is also important not to underestimate editing tools, but starting with the best picture helps the editing process.
3. It is also essential that you don’t stress about having the best camera equipment. Photos can be taken with smartphones or reasonably priced cameras. It is just crucial to have the set-up optimized for this.
What This Means:
- Having plenty of light
- Avoid using the zoom feature (it will diminish the quality of the photo overall if you’re using a phone).
- Always shoot more pictures than you need and have the best selection to find the best ones.
- Try lots of different angles to see what looks best. Don’t get set in one head-on shot of taking the pictures.
- Reduce the shake to the camera by using a tripod or timer.